18 June 2015

The 1 Thing I Learned That Has Made All the Difference

I haven’t always been the nicest guy. Not that I was ever overtly evil, but I definitely didn’t have my priorities straight.

I was one who looked out for “number one,” who made sure I got the biggest piece of pie, and who thought, somehow, that my ideas and views trumped everyone else’s. I look back now and wonder how I could have ever been so misguided.

6 Years of Hell

I went through an experience many years ago that dominated a half-dozen years of my life. It was my version of hell. It challenged everything I believed and destroyed most of what I had worked to build in my life. The only thing I came out of that experience with was—thankfully—an in-tact family and marriage. And even that was in question at times during our bumpy six-year journey.

Misdirected Priorities

Success, money, social recognition—those were always so important to me. I not only wanted to be unbelievably wealthy, I wanted everyone to know it. My focus on and pursuit of money was foremost in my life. I gave lip service to other priorities, but my actions revealed my true desires.

When my financial life came crashing down around me in a most spectacular and unforgettable way, I was devastated. Who I really was came into question (in my mind). My self-worth was significantly damaged. I struggled to see a way to save or rebuild what I had and prove that I was the “success” I knew I was supposed to be.

As you might imagine, I was low. Everything seemed dark. Obstacles appeared to be insurmountable. I was ruined. Or was I?

I Questioned Everything

When I got finished questioning everything I thought mattered, I started seeing glimpses of priorities I had pushed aside or stepped on and forgotten about in my selfish journey. Slowly, light started to replace darkness. Hope began to take the place of despair. And as this transformation was taking place, I began to notice that there were people who were actively working to help me. Why did they care? What was their motive?

As time passed, I realized that what drove these people was nothing more than the simple fact I needed their help. They recognized my need and, without being compelled or compensated, came to my aid. It felt good to be the subject of the attention of good people. I wanted to give back. I found true joy in using whatever I had available to me (time, talents, and resources) to serve others. Most of those efforts never turned into money for me, but that didn’t seem to matter. What was happening to me?

What I Learned

This process continued until I was able to put my finger on a truth that has guided my life ever since: People come first. This was such a simple concept, but it had never taken center stage in my life before. It made me happy. It helped others be happy. I liked it.

This experience caused me to redefine my definition of success. With “People Come First” as my motto, my definition of success changed to this: “I am successful when I am helping others succeed at whatever is important to them.” Wow! Talk about a change of focus.

I wouldn’t be sharing this account if my findings hadn’t been correct. They were. And I’ve never looked back. People come first. Helping others succeed is what gets me up in the morning. I’ve never been richer. And no one can take away what I now own.

::  ::  ::


I’m the most fortunate guy on earth. I get to spend my work days helping business owners discover opportunities, identify obstacles, engineer breakthroughs, and grow their businesses. I’d love to have a conversation with you about the vision you have for your business and help you make it happen. If you’d like to begin this conversation, you can reach me at bwpope@bwpope.com.